How to Determine Ring Size with Added Ring Size Chart
Perhaps you’ve stared at the list of ring sizes when shopping online and wondered: ‘what ring size do I have’?. To help you answer that question we compiled a list of methods in this How To Determine Ring Size Guide. Which will enable you to easily measure your ring size at home.
A ring size conversion chart can be found at the bottom of this page.
Tips for Measuring Ring Size
There are several things you should keep in mind before you start to measure your ring size.
- Measure at the end of the day because fingers swell during the day. What was comfortable in the morning might be too tight in the evening.
- Only measure when your hands are warm, cold fingers are slimmer.
- Measure size several times, preferably on different days, to avoid errors.
- Allow room for the knuckle when you measure ring size. It might be comfortable on your finger, but if you can’t get it over your knuckle it is pretty useless!
How to Determine Ring Size: 3 Methods
The Piece of Paper or String Method
- Cut a piece of string or paper, the paper should not be wider than 1/3? or 1 cm and at least 4? or 10 cm long.
- Wrap it around the finger you want to measure.
- Mark the piece of paper or string where it completes the circle. It’s best if you let someone else mark so that you don’t move it.
- Measure the piece of paper and look up what size you need in the ring size chart at the bottom of the page. Round up to the nearest size if needed.
The advantages of this method is that it is easy, fast and free. The disadvantage is that it is not very accurate, your ruler might be off and the piece of string could stretch.
Using a Ring Sizer
A ring sizer is another popular method which most professional jewelers use when you visit their store. When you don’t feel like going all the way to a jeweler just to get your ring size you can simply order your own set.
You get a set of metal rings that have engraved measurements. Simply try out the rings and find out which fits best, look up the measurements that are engraved on the side and you’ll have your ring size.
The advantages of this method is that it is fast, easy and very accurate. The disadvantage is that it’s not free, luckily a set is not that expensive as you can see below. A set of plastic ring sizers is a few dollars cheaper, but they are easy to bend and not accurate at all.
Ring Sizing Stick
Another great method is using a ring sizing stick, also called a mandrel. Normally these are used by jewelry designers to make a new ring a certain size or when resizing rings. However you can also easily measure ring sizes with it.
This method can only be used if you already have a ring that you don’t know the size of. This makes this method especially useful for when you want to surprise someone with a new ring. Simply get their ring in an unguarded moment and measure it, this should only take a few seconds.
Simply put, you get a metal (or plastic) stick and you put the ring you want to measure on it. Read the measurements that are engraved on the stick and you got your ring size.
The advantages of this method are that it is fast and easy. The disadvantages are that it’s not free, though pretty cheap as you can see below. And you can only use it if you already have a ring that fits well.
The Best Ring Measuring Method
In my opinion the best method is the ring sizer method. Not only is it accurate and cheap, it requires far less effort than the paper or string method. On top of that you don’t need to have a ring that fits already, unlike the ring sizing stick. The ring sizing stick works wonders though if you already have a ring that fits, but you don’t know its size.
Ring Size Chart, Ring Size Conversion